Today would have been his 68th birthday. Born in February 6, 1945 at Saint Ann Parish, Jamaica, Robert Nesta Marley or just simply Bob Marley lives on in his memorable music that is timeless and cut across many barriers. He is gone but many still remember him and across the world many will remember today as he marks 68. We will not postulate how it would have been had he lived on few more years and what numbers he would have churned out, we celebrate the numerous numbers he left us with.
We all have our favourite number. I like Waiting in Vain, Could You Be Loved, Kaya, Exodus, Easy Skanking and the list is long. Buffalo Soldiers is the song that had tuned to Bob and my son has picked it up too. What is your favourite? What makes it special?
His music is memorable because of the things he said. He also left us with some memorable quotes. Sample this:
- The biggest coward is a man who awakens a woman’s love with no intention of loving her.
- Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny.
- Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
- My future is righteousness.
- Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.
- Love the life you live. Live the life you love.
- Don’t forget your history nor your destiny.
- Herb is the healing of a nation. Alcohol is the destruction.
- You have to be someone.
- If I was educated, I’d be a damn fool.
- Free speech carries with it some freedom to listen.
- Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don’t give up the fight.
- Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake up and live!
- Don’t Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold
- Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!
- Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.